781 E Terrace Mall
Tempe, AZ 85282
Fundamentally based on low-power, wireless network communications, UON Technologies opens up transformative possibilities in underwater sensing and communications.
FPGA Breakout Board
This project has a strong entrepreneurial bent to it, as the ideal project outcome would be an entirely new product sold to the market. The goal of the project is to design and produce a minimal, low-cost Spartan 6 FPGA evaluation/development board with manufacturability constraints in-mind. The design of a moderate volume production procedure will be a part of the project, including setting temperature profiles for the reflow oven. The Spartan 6 evaluation board should have:
- Spartan 6 (choose the optimal Spartan 6 package for best usability versus cost)
- Flash memory, to hold the FPGA program
- Voltage regulators
- Level shifts for IO JTAG controller to the FPGA
- Breakout of many IO pins to header pins for probing (cost/time driven)
- Breadboard for user/customer to include extra IC’s, passives, and wiring
- Jumper wire configuration of standard pins, such as mode pins
- Optional HS2 FPGA JTAG programmer
- Create documentation for the kit to be sold, including instructions, design, and specifications
- PLL development module
The project involves placing the board on a website to be sold. The markup is anticipated to be 100%. The target price range to the consumer is $150 to $200, implying that materials and labor costs should only be $75 to $100.
The team must be comfortable working with embedded system technology, with a general knowledge of analog and digital circuits. The team will be bringing an idea to market, so an incredibly broad range of engineering and marketing principles will be useful.
Expected duration/deadline: 3 months / May 31, 2015
Expected number of students:
Electrical Engineering (analog emphasis) – 1
Electrical Engineering (digital emphasis) – 1
Electrical Engineering or Computer Systems (general/embedded systems) – 1
Requires US Citizenship: No
Requires Permanent Residency: No
Company Representative: David Ganger
Send an email to Karan Sharma <email@example.com> stating your interest in the project. You must be a cohort member of SPARCe to be considered for the project. Not a cohort member? Fill up the student interest form and we will get back to you!